Amazing opportunity for a seasoned art lead to join inXile’s next great game! The ideal candidate possesses outstanding management, communication, and organization skills, and a thorough understanding of art department dynamics within game development.
- A fine artist 3.0: your creative toolbox is updated for the digital age enabling you to agilely leap from an advanced Photoshop session to 3D programs including Maya, ZBrush, Modo, or Substance Painter
- A hands-on creative: you build your characters from inside out, giving them lifelike form and movement thanks to your knowledge of human and animal anatomy and keen eye for light, color, value, function, and silhouette; your strong hand-painted texture and hard-surface modeling skills bring characters to life
- A passionate gamer: given you already regularly stay up 'til dawn playing your favorite videogames you're able to understand players, so your creations connect with and impact them
- A humble teammate: you understand that constructive criticism helps you grow, so you seek it and give it; while you're a motivated self-starter, you're eager to collaborate because you know results are better with team and cross-team communication and feedback
- Partner with other leads and producers to manage individuals across the entire art department
- Define and manage artist career paths within the team
- Supervise artists and provide work direction, performance reviews, and coaching for the team
- Design and implement best practices around staffing, interviewing, and career development
- Work with production to help create and manage team schedules and insure proper workflow throughout the art department
- Collaborate closely with writers, animators, game engineers, and splash artists to define champions that share narrative and visual magnetism
- Give and receive constructive, creative feedback across art disciplines
- Mentor artists, helping them meet and raise the quality bar
- Spearhead research of new technologies and workflows.
- Create both high resolution 3D sculpts and final low polygon game assets
- Create textures that meld hand painted techniques with next-gen materials
- A keen eye for spatial composition, lighting and building believable scenes
- An understanding of effective asset creation and optimization.
- Excellent ability to create textures and work with complex shaders
- Create efficient and beautiful particle effects.
- Create illustrations for use in marketing materials.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in game development as an artist specializing in organic modeling and texturing using 3DS Max, Zbrush, and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- A minimum of 3 years’ management experience
- Advanced knowledge of Unreal 4 or Unity game engines
- Skill in a wide range of art disciplines – illustration, concept art, animation, modelling, visual effects, or technical art
- Exceptional understanding of form, anatomy, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette when dealing with scene composition.
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
- Able to handle a wide range of personnel issues including recruitment, career development, and conflict resolution
- Able to manage a large team of both in house and external artists
- Able to interact as part of a team and to contribute to increasing productivity goals and efficiencies
- Able to successfully deconstruct broad feature goals into prioritized tasks
- Able to build consensus on overall goals and balance resource allocation based on project goals and individual ability
- Provide technical support for layout artists
- Manage layout team's tech priorities
- Able to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary art team to help bring environments to life within the vision of the game design
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Experience with building and maintaining modular environment sets
- Experience with building and maintaining modular character equipment sets
- Good technical chops and the ability to quickly master new pipelines and tools
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter